An introduction to knitting for the complete beginner.
Four 2 hour classes led by an experienced knitter.
This class is for beginners, or those looking to build confidence in the foundation skills of knitting. We do not expect any prior knowledge.
You’ll begin by knitting a test swatch, which will include opportunities to practice all the techniques listed below:
- Slip knot
- Holding yarn and needles
- Casting on (using the cable method)
- The knit stitch
- The purl stitch
- How to combine the knit and purl stitches, eg. garter stitch, stocking stitch, ribbing, and moss stitch.
- How to measure tension on a stocking stitch swatch that you’ve knitted
- Increasing and decreasing
- Casting off
We’ll also discuss how to read a yarn label, choosing yarn for specific projects, tools of the trade, common terminology in knitting, resources, and how to care for your completed knits. All terms and techniques will be explained and demonstrated.
Within the four weeks there we’ll guide you through a beginner project of your choice, such as fingerless mitts, a ribbed beanie, or a moss stitch purse.
What we’ll provide you with:
- One pair of 4mm knitting needles
- 50 grams of 8ply yarn
What you’ll need to bring along:
- A pen or pencil to take notes.
- Please bring your needles and yarn, or what you’ve made with them, to class every week.
You’ll get a paper copy with instructions for all the techniques covered in class.